- Backup site and database
- Run speed test for baseline
- Remove all plugins that are inactive
- Remove Genesis plugins not being used
- Deactivate AutoOptimize
- Remove One Click Demo Import
- Deactivate Related Posts
- Install ShortPixel (remove / deactivate Smush)
- Run ShortPixel on all images
- Run speed test to see the difference
- See if SiteGround will update interface (maybe not possible “WebP support will be available once we migrate your account to Site Tools.”
- Backup site and database
- Change out WooCommerce for EDD
- Check how fast on other hosting
- disable all plugins and enable one by one to see if anything else is adding to it
Breakdown of load time
This is a video from GT Metrix at the first green line your user can start scrolling and reading the page. They can get to the content which is the most important. The loading keeps happening as ads load and images load but by then your user has scanned the article and knows they want to read it well and stay on the page.
- Using WooCommerce for digital product possibly change to Easy Digital Downloads.
- Plugins not in use should be deleted.
- Try to reduce plugin list to about 15 would probably be a great improvement.
- Delete Genesis specific plugins.
Life of Babe has 23 plugins activated (which is pretty heavy!) If we can get it down to 15 it would be a great improvement.
- Advanced Custom Fields PRO by Elliot Condon.
- Akismet Anti-Spam by Automattic.
- All In One WP Security by Tips and Tricks HQ, Peter Petreski, Ruhul, Ivy.
- Autoptimize by Frank Goossens (futtta).
- Elementor by Elementor.com.
- Evergreen Countdown Timer by IntellyWP.
- GDPR Cookie Consent Banner by termly.
- Genesis eNews Extended by Brandon Kraft.
- Grow by Mediavine by Mediavine.
- Insert Headers and Footers by WPBeginner.
- Kirki Customizer Framework by Ari Stathopoulos (@aristath).
- Mediavine Control Panel by mediavine.
- One Click Demo Import by ProteusThemes.
- Portfolio Post Type by Devin Price.
- Redirection by John Godley.
- Regenerate Thumbnails by Alex Mills (Viper007Bond).
- Related Posts for WordPress by Never5.
- SG Optimizer by SiteGround.
- Sitka Core by Solo Pine.
- Smash Balloon Instagram Feed by Smash Balloon.
- Smush by WPMU DEV.
- WooCommerce by Automattic.
- Yoast SEO by Team Yoast.
My recommendations for removing plugins right away include:
- Advanced Custom Fields – I am not sure what you have that is using this. Will look into it deeper.
- Autooptimize – Although this is a caching plugin. I have seen multiple caching plugins actually hurt sites and since SiteGround has it’s own caching this might be doing more harm than good.
- Genesis eNews Extended – This is specific to Genesis so I don’t think it is being used anymore.
- Kirki Customizer Framework – I am not sure if this is a recommendation from the theme or if you are using it.
- One Click Demo Import – This is probably a one time thing to do the import and we can remove it now.
- Related Post plugins are often site suckers and require a lot back and forth to the database. WP Engine one of the best hosting platforms actually bans the plugins. Jetpack has a related posts plugin that is pretty good and there are a few others that are recommended.
In addition, these plugins are installed but not activated. Unless you activate them from time to time they are just adding additional weight without any functionality.
- Copyright Proof
- Genesis Featured Page
- Genesis Responsive Slider
- Genesis Simple Share
- Responsive WordPress Slider
- Simple Social Icons
- Widget Importer & Exporter
Delete all inactive plugins unless there are any that are needed. Also any inactive themes should be deleted and only one “twenty” theme should stay.
Pingdom Tools Report
I just tested https://lifeofababe.com/ with the Full Page test in Pingdom Tools.
This specific test was done on April 17. The web page took 2852 ms to load, used 329 requests, and weighed in at 4.2 MB.
The Google Page Speed performance grade for this web page is 63/100.
There’s a ton of more information you can check out here: https://tools.pingdom.com/#5c62677860800000
Web Page Test
WebPageTest Test Details – Dulles : lifeofababe.com/ – 04/17/20 19:30:15 –
Page Speed Insights